The information found in stimulating questions about the game helps preserve baseball’s appeal to the masses.
Fans know the significance behind numbers that are linked to players who chiseled those digits to unforgettable achievements.
• .406—Ted Williams’ batting average in 1941 to become the last player to hit .400 in a season.
• 56—Joe DiMaggio’s record-setting consecutive game hitting streak.
• 42—The uniform number worn by Jackie Robinson and retired by all big league clubs in remembrance of Robinson’s legacy.
• 714, 755, 762—The career home run totals of the all-time leaders Babe Ruth, Hank Aaron and Barry Bonds.
• 130—The single-season stolen base mark set by Rickey Henderson in 1982.
• 383—Nolan Ryan’s one-year strikeout record established in 1973.
• 1.12—Bob Gibson’s miniscule ERA in 1968 covering 304.2 innings.
• 59—Orel Hershiser’s consecutive scoreless inning streak that led him to a Cy Young award in 1988.
• 191—Hack Wilson’s RBI total in 1930, the most by any player in one season.
• 4,256—Pete Rose’s final career hit total.
Because fans are so enamored by the history of the game and the events that create such memorable numbers and the feats behind them, we welcome any challenges that test our baseball intellect.
So gear up folks, here is a baseball quiz to separate you from the average fan into the category of baseball trivia buff.
1. Hank Aaron won a home run title with the Braves when they played in Milwaukee and Atlanta. Name the two other players to lead his league in home runs with the same franchise in two different cities.
2. Who is the only player to hit 40 or more doubles, 20 or more triples and 30 or more homers in the same season: Jimmy Rollins, George Brett, Jim Bottomley or Willie Mays?
3. Who are the four pitchers in major league history to register a 300-strikeout season with two different teams?
4. There have been 15 batters who have won the Triple Crown—leading their league in batting average, home runs and RBI in the same season. Who are the only two players to have two Triple Crown seasons?
5. The pitching Triple Crown (leading the league in wins, ERA and strikeouts) has been won by 29 different pitchers. Among those 29, Christy Mathewson, Walter Johnson, Grover Alexander, Lefty Grove, Lefty Gomez, Sandy Koufax and Roger Clemens won multiple Triple Crowns. Who are the only two hurlers to capture the honor three or more times?
6. Who are the only two pitchers to win four consecutive Cy Young Awards?
7. Who are the five players with more than 500 career home runs and 3,000 lifetime hits?
8. What player set the single-season mark for most triples in a season with 36: Joe Jackson, Owen Wilson, Ty Cobb or Sam Crawford?
9. In 1966, Tim McCarver of the St. Louis Cardinals became the first catcher since 1900 to lead his league in triples. Who is the only other catcher to top his league in triples: Carlton Fisk, Ivan Rodriguez, John Wathan, Craig Biggio?
10. Who are the only two managers to win a World Series title in both the American and National league?
11. Which pitcher holds the record for most career shutouts with 110: Grover Alexander, Walter Johnson, Bob Gibson or Cy Young?
12. Who are the two players to have a 40-homer season with three different major league teams?
13. Name the three major league pitchers to record 20 strikeouts in a nine-inning game.
14. When Bill Veeck used midget Eddie Gaedel as a pinch hitter on August 19, 1951 with the St. Louis Browns, what number did Gaedel wear on the back of his uniform: 0, 1, 1/2, 1/4, or 1/8?
15. True or False. Mark McGwire is the only rookie to club 40 or more homers in a season when he hit 49 in 1987.
16. What are the only two franchises to win three or more consecutive World Series titles?
17. Who was the youngest pitcher to win the Cy Young Award: Dwight Gooden, Bret Saberhagen, Fernando Valenzuela or Tim Lincecum?
18. Since 1900, the most stolen bases in one month are 33 held by which player: Lou Brock, Maury Wills, Rickey Henderson or Vince Coleman?
19. Cecil and Prince Fielder are the only father and son major leaguers to hit 50 homers in a season. What pitcher did they both homer against during their 50-homer campaign: Tom Gordon, Roger Clemens, Randy Johnson or Jamie Moyer?
20. True or False. Despite clubbing 563 lifetime home runs, Reggie Jackson never had consecutive seasons with 30 or more homers.
21. In 1975, Fred Lynn became the first player to win Rookie of the Year honors and a league MVP Award in the same season. Who is the only other player to accomplish this feat: Albert Pujols, Alex Rodriguez, Ichiro Suzuki or Mike Piazza?
22. Who are the three players to hit a home run for their 3,000th career big league hit?
23. Who is the only pitcher to toss six consecutive shutouts: Bob Gibson, Orel Hershiser, Don Drysdale or Walter Johnson?
24. Who is the only player to hit a World Series home run with three different teams: Manny Ramirez, Eddie Murray, Matt Williams or Gary Sheffield?
25. Besides Reggie Jackson, who is the only other player to hit five home runs in one World Series: Lou Gehrig, Albert Pujols, Gene Tenace or Chase Utley?
Answers to trivia appear on baseballbullpen.com site Trivia Answers Tab at top of page.